Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by i still think you have a lot to learn on May 05, 2001 at 19:43:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Austin H. on May 04, 2001 at 17:44:17:

i understand where you are coming from but i still have to disagree
#1, a note may be in tune in terms of the frequencies matching up (or in this case, doubling) perfectly, but there is such a huge timbre difference that it actually can create some dissonance. I hate to break it to you but many concerts and recordings done by professionals are poorly played becuase of antics like those. Stop trying to make the music sound "cool" and make it sound beautiful, amazing, exquisite, the best i have ever heard. No one would play bydlo up an octave (and I know many who can, and in tune) but it's just unecessary. music should never be just noise, it should never be just spectacle. Go listen to some debussy and tell me you would play that down the octave. do you think if you tried playing the hindemith sonata down an octave that hindemith wouldn't roll in his grave? You all need to stop being stupid kids...being a musician means being a tubist, conductor, composer, artist, poet, sculptor, pianist, decorator, etc. all at the same time. there is a recording of me playing a piece in my younger days where i dropped the octave in a piece and it is in tune and played on the right beats, but it's WRONG! It has no musical merit. Sounding cool is NOT musical merit. Why don't you start working on something else if your pedal tones are PERFECT?????? Work on intonation, articulation, dynamics, expression, sight reading, or is all that PERFECT too? Are you a keyboard virtuoso too, huh? Can you solfege anything? think about that before you jump off the pretentiousness turnpike

Follow Ups: