Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on May 04, 2001 at 13:01:12:

In Reply to: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by sick of it on May 04, 2001 at 12:03:17:

Granted one should use discretion with this concept of playing and thinking, however you bring up the idea that this makes it harder for the group to play in tune. This is the absolute opposite of the truth. If the pedal or extended range tones are played in tune, which is quite easy with a good ear, the pitch center is actually easier for the ensemble to find. I think you may need to re-evaluate your thoughts on the low register, for this octave doubling is becoming much more prominent in newer music, as this is a useful register. There is no other contrabass instrument in any wind groups that can extend the range downward with power and sonority like the tuba can. The string bass comes close especially with a C extension, but still comes up a little short. While this can become annoying if used ad nauseam, I think that if a few individuals hadn't made the horse's a** out of themselves and done it in front of some prominent composers, then the composers may not even have known that this register existed in this capacity, i.e. the Marty Erickson/Claude T. Smith example. But most importantly remember this: An in tune pedal D is always in tune, octave displacement has nothing to do with intonation.
Matt G

Follow Ups: