Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by who do you think you are anyway? on May 07, 2001 at 11:43:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Matt G on May 06, 2001 at 13:11:18:

Granted one should use discretion with this concept of playing and thinking,
> you should always think, don't think too much, but always think

however you bring up the idea that this makes it harder for the group to play in tune. This is the absolute opposite of the truth. If the pedal or extended range tones are played in tune, which is quite easy with a good ear, the pitch center is actually easier for the ensemble to find.
> umm, have you ever played in an ensemble before. Most players double with different instruments and everybody plays differently anyway. This will also affect the ability to lock together.

I think you may need to re-evaluate your thoughts on the low register, for this octave doubling is becoming much more prominent in newer music, as this is a useful register. There is no other contrabass instrument in any wind groups that can extend the range downward with power and sonority like the tuba can. The string bass comes close especially with a C extension, but still comes up a little short.
> have you read the post? We're talking about ADDING the contra octave when it's NOT written in. not NEW MUSIC that utilizes it.

While this can become annoying if used ad nauseam, I think that if a few individuals hadn't made the horse's a** out of themselves and done it in front of some prominent composers, then the composers may not even have known that this register existed in this capacity, i.e. the Marty Erickson/Claude T. Smith example.
>amen

But most importantly remember this: An in tune pedal D is always in tune, octave displacement has nothing to do with intonation.
>think of this, you are WRONG! why? listen, have you ever taught a beginner and tried to tune up with him, well if his tone is not very desirable, then it will become quite difficult to tune because even though your tuner says notes are in tune, timbre DOES, repeat, DOES affect how things lock in in terms of intonation. Balance is also a MAJOR issue. I love tuba, but an overbearing tuba section is not art, its a spectacle. And I don't care who's in all-state or not. I was in all-state and I am completely confident about my playing in the contra octave, but it's completely unneccessary and distasteful in the settings that we were discussing.

Matt G
> who do you think you are anyway?

Follow Ups: