Mouthpiece Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on May 04, 2001 at 10:51:18:

I put my tuba in its bag after Tuba Christmas with the intention of giving it up altogether, even offering it up for sale. Well, no one wanted to buy it, so there it sat. A week or so it started calling me again, and I have started to practice again.

For the last ten years I've played almost exclusively trombone (bass trombone until five years ago, tenor ONLY for the last five). I got back into the tuba game a year and a half ago, getting first a Yamaha 103 then a Conn 10J, and using my old Conn Helleberg that Don Little changed me to in 1979. I've been really frustrated with the tuba since I came back, and there are two main reasons: I can't consistently play below the low Bb, and my attacks are really sloppy.

In starting back this week, I think I understand why. My lips are, I believe, not as meaty as they were in H.S. and college, when I was playing a lot of tuba. A glance at my old pictures supports this belief. My chops seem to be 'out of control', rattling around (but not really buzzing) in a too-deep mouthpiece, especially in the low range.

So, my questions:
Is it reasonable that a shallower cup would be something I should consider? What other changes might help me articulate, especially in the low range? Also, is it likely that my lips might eventually 'beef up' again?

I know, I should get lessons. I would if I could justify the expense, but with three teenagers, one soon to start college -- well, this IS just a hobby for me, and not even my main instrument, and I just can't justify the expense. So, understanding you guys haven't seen or heard me, is there any general rule of thumb that might guide me? Thanks in advance.

Joe "Pedal Envy" Baker

Follow Ups: