Life Choices... Passion vs Practical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ben on March 05, 2004 at 10:17:20:

I've gotten myself into a pickle lately. I've been working a great job for the last 5 years (I'm 28 yrs of youth), that pays well, is very career oriented, with great benefits, and I hate it. I work as an organic chemist for a major Phara company, and I do R&D... I find the work less and less interesting, and especially with the constant failures involved in chemical research. I'm very proficient in the practice, but I don't want to be playing with poisons for the rest of my life. For over a year, I've been saving up for a move of careers into music. So here's my problem... What do I do and how do I go about it? I know this sounds fairly wishy washy.

Details...
I live in Indianapolis, and I honestly can say that performing Tuba for a living here would be very dificult, although it is very cheap to live here. Currently I get called up to do some sub work with church orchestras, and am working toward sublists for local orchestras. I play in a jazz band, a low brass ensemble, wind symphony, and 2 different blues jams every week (albeit there is no money in any of those). Plus I double on Bass for a rock project.
I have many friends in NYC, some friends from my music days in college, and I am encouraged by them to move out to test the waters there, as they claim there are more opportunities out there. I believe them, but until I go out and test the waters i have no idea. I know thre are some NY'ers out there, what is your perspective? The plusses I see to moving out is 1. more people to study with 2. more people to listen / give feedback / build a supporting audience. I love NYC and have been out to visit, but I've never tried to live out there, and I realize it is expensive... with out any work whatsoever, I could float for a few months on my savings... dig into retirement savings and I could float for much longer... but that doesn't appeal to me. Ideally I'd like to find a way to work a job 20 hrs a week, and do music/teach/run a recording studio on the side. I would like to learn the trade of brass repair. I'm open to many alternative career paths at this point.

On the flip side, I cannot see myself continuing to work as a chemist for another 5 years... even one year would be very frustrating. Playing as much as I do now, I still want to be practicing, and playing more, and I would like to pursue teaching, but the 8-5 job prevents me from private teaching at the schools.

On the orchestral side, I sent in a resume to Milwaukee, and I recieved the "not enough experience letter" in return. I have thought about getting my Masters in Perf, and that is another option I can pursue, but I am having a good time taking lessons from the pros arround here currently and don't know if that will really open any doors for me.

Suggestions, Comments, Advice, Flames?

Ben "needing to find satisfaction if the work I do" Vokits

Follow Ups: