Re: Re: Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on March 09, 2004 at 16:08:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical posted by Rick Denney on March 08, 2004 at 10:43:48:

Actually, Rick, I believe we are witness to a slightly different phenomena happening. I believe we are on the leading edge of a teacher shortage. In order to properly cloak this shortage(and to cope with putting enough teachers into the classroom), we are seeing a general relaxation of the rules. Just about anyone can be brought into the classroom. All that is needed is a little hocus-pocus(or the like). You are absolutely correct that the emphasis is on "education" training and not on the subject matter. It is my theory that the most valued teachers are those that look good on paper, who turn in all the required materials by the deadline, and who someway(often miraculously) maintain order without causing any work for the administration. Teachers who send too much work along to the administration will find themselves looking down the bore of the administration's ire.

In short, just about anyone can be a teacher if the can tolerate the school environment. For me, this has become more and more difficult. I know this is shocking so if you are offended or otherwise endangered by suddent shocking matter, please stop reading now. When I became a teacher, I decided to do so because I wanted to TEACH. Are you still there? That's right. Increasingly, this has become more and more and more difficult to do. Much more of my time and energy are spent taking care of all the other things required of me. If I do not do those, they won't allow me to teach.

It is my very firm opinion that if we don't fix our schools soon, we will not maintain our lofty ranking of 20th in the world.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: