Re: Limited # Invited for Singapore?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by craig on March 04, 2004 at 01:39:21:

In Reply to: Limited # Invited for Singapore? posted by Frustrated on March 03, 2004 at 23:54:41:

this raises an interesting point. it seems like American orchestras are starting to use resumes as a litmus test to whittle down the huge numbers of applicants to auditions. i have an additional question. when a major American symphony orchestra has an audition, sometimes they say, "send a resume; do NOT send a tape". ok, my question: what are they looking for on the resume? let's say I have a wealth of performance experience with various college wind ensembles/orchestras and freelancing, but not a lot of *professional* experience (e.g., not currently a principal tuba in a "paying" orchestra). let's also say i don't have a music bachelor's degree, although perhaps I have at least a master's in another field, and studied privately while i was going to college/graduate school. would they look at my resume and screen me out because i don't have a BM/MM or aren't a principal in an orch. somewhere? what kinds of things could I put on my resume that would keep me from being screened out before they get a chance to hear me?

thanks for your info

craig l. haupt, ph.d.
"majored in music composition instead of tuba performance"

Follow Ups: