Re: Re: Re: Limited # Invited for Singapore?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 05, 2004 at 10:21:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Limited # Invited for Singapore? posted by bloke on March 04, 2004 at 10:04:32:

"Obviously, from what members of audition committees have reported to us in the past publically and privately (occasionally on this forum), either the vast majority of studio teachers don't understand the excerpts well enough to teach them...or the vast majority of students don't understand what they are being taught."

this is really quite a mouthful....I seem to recall one tuba studio (in Texas?) where that teacher's students get jobs on a pretty regular basis. I wonder how much that has to do with being able to play the tuba well, and how much it has to do with learning what the tubist has to do to play well in an orchestra.

And something I've noticed along the way: The best concerto soloist may not have the skills to perform well in a group. Being able to play excerpts well at an audition is only a percentage of what is needed to do well in an orchestra. There are ensemble skills, rhythm, intonation...and getting along with people. Plus personal responsibility and reliability. You do need some things on your resume to show that you have a background indicating that you are reasonably well-rounded as well as a good concerto soloist.

MA

Follow Ups: