Re: Re: Purchase considerations...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SHS Tubamaster on March 01, 2003 at 23:17:39:

In Reply to: Re: Purchase considerations... posted by Rick Denney on March 01, 2003 at 20:09:27:

Apparently, Brasswind came across a stock of 189s that they need to clear out. They had four of them when I emailed Mr.Lewis on the subject. The 191 is now a consideration due to the fact that Brasswind has the goldbrass 4-valver on discount. The 189 is supposedly big, but it doesn't give that impression when looking at it. Also, that open-wrap valve tubing is just crying out to be hit by an errant trumpeter in our band room. Otherwise, if the bore isn't too big, I see no reason not to try it. The 191 doesn't appeal greatly to me aesthetically, but it is probably a good idea as I prefer rotary valves. The 186/7 are just good horns overall. I can get a good price on the 5-valve S-186 version, and the 187 seems like a good compromise.These times right before my first major tuba purchase are quite tense.

SHS"whose only obstruction now is getting a good case, not to mention transportation" Tubamaster

Follow Ups: