Re: Re: Re: Dent eraser ball diameters and more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on March 24, 2002 at 22:53:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Dent eraser ball diameters and more posted by Klaus on March 24, 2002 at 21:46:45:

I have posted on this subject before but I have a little more info now. I purchased from wondermagnet this #37 magnet that they make you call to order because it is very strong and a 2", a 1.5" and a 1" ball bearing from salemball.com. they actually sell them in sizes up to 12 inches in diameter. This cost me about 100$ for everything and I was able to de-dent almost all of my King Eb sousaphone. I think you could get the balls stuck if you were not careful but I have had some success with it but I am not sure I would use it on an expensive horn. I found that the larger the ball the stronger the magnetic pull there is. I found that with the 2" ball and in areas near where the bell attached I had to be very careful and make a larger gap between the magnet and the horn because it caused in some places outward streakes where the ball rolled like outward dents or either compression of the brass or maybe some streching. I am not a repairman but I have had some luck with it. You just have to be careful with the magnets. They can pinch very hard.

I hope this was helpful,

-Jim

Follow Ups: