Re: Re: Dent eraser ball diameters and more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 24, 2002 at 21:46:45:

In Reply to: Re: Dent eraser ball diameters and more posted by poll respondent on March 24, 2002 at 19:24:19:

Thank you for your thorough answer, Joe!

As in the US good repairmen are in short supply over here. So straightening out my two goodies from the surplus of US school systems would a be a project of longer perspectives, than I would like. Timewise that is.

A number of correspondents have told of the cheaper option to buy industrial rare earth magnets. I most certainly like the price aspect, but I have to consider the condition of my hands. I have to have a large "grip" with no sharp edges to annoy my sore joints.

That was what I saw in the illustration, that was given by Lee Stofer.

Sometimes some of our threads are somewhat repetitive. Here is a chance for inventive boarders to come up with something new. What about combining Joe's ideas on the working surface towards the brass with my call for a really good handgrip. Preferably with a non-metallic surface to let the hand keep its temperature.

A well developed dent eraser kit hardly will let the good repairmen go hungry to bed. There still are lots of sophisticated tasks to which there are no magnetic shortcut answers. I would never touch the slides of my workhorse trombones, nor my very thinwalled instruments out of the old German tradition.

And then there is the diversity in un-denting-cultures. The tubist holding our most prestigeous orchestral post will not let dents get rolled out. He wants hammering over barrels. Not a task for the unskilled.

Klaus

Follow Ups: