Re: Besson or Courtois compensating tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 04, 2001 at 10:41:34:

In Reply to: Besson or Courtois compensating tuba? posted by Bill Schultz on March 04, 2001 at 09:23:23:

All 4 piston valve compensating systems are the same in so far as they use the 4th valve as a master valve. It has its tubing routed back through the upper end of the pistons, so that the compensation loops can be taken into use, when the corresponding piston is activated simultaneously with the 4th valve.

One of the problems with this system is the number of bends and piston passages, when all valves are engaged. Hence the bore of the 4th valve tubing is larger, than that of the 3 first valves.

This increase of bore is reached "gently" throught the tubing between the 3th and 4th valves on the 3+1 type instruments. The same effect is obtained on the Besson 983 with a "funny" loop between the adjacent 3th and 4th valves.

Which of the listed instruments, that could be considered the best, must be a matter of personal testing.

I have not tried the Courtois, which are very hard to come close to. But brass techs unanimously tell of very well made instruments. Only the price level is a bit high.

Personally I prefer instruments with the least possible resistance. Not that I necessarily want the largest possib

Follow Ups: