Re: horns for auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 19, 2003 at 21:56:24:

In Reply to: horns for auditions posted by tim on June 19, 2003 at 20:26:16:

That depends on what the orchestra committee really wants.

In the case of the NYPO, I would guess that your headed down the right path, in my opinion. However, no one really knows what the committee is looking for. Take the Boston situation. A lot of second guessing occured and no one was really right, except for Mike Roylance who won the gig.

Remember this also: Mr. Deck had access to a good number of horns. He played different horns for different stuff. At one time the 2165, the Nirschl, the MW 2000, the MW 45-SLP that was at Dillon's a while back, and a lot of other stuff. Mr. Deck is still developing tubas (2265, 2182) to fit his needs.

To be honest, I think that whoever embodies the needs of the ensemble best in all capacities, i.e. tone produciton, rhythm, intonation, musicality, professionalism, personality, etc. will be chosen regardless of the horn they are holding. However the 6/4 is a popular horn to whip out at these auditions.

Also, Mr Kyle Turner had been playing a Conn 56J in the group for a while, maybe that sound is in their head now? And then again, Mr. Turner sold his 56J to presumably buy another instrument, and I am very curious as to what it is.

I guess my point is that no one can really tell you what to do from the outside looking in. If you knew a member on the auditioning committee personally, that may help, but I doubt they would divulge anything more than plain basic requiremnts.

Play your best on the equipment that limits you the least.

Matt G

This freely given opinion is surley worth what you paid for it!

Follow Ups: