Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use of F tubas in Europe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff on June 17, 2003 at 10:20:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use of F tubas in Europe posted by Rick Denney on June 16, 2003 at 17:44:14:

(author's note: This isn't directed at any particular poster, it's more of a general commentary/rant)

Catelinet (like many other earlier tubist in British orchestras) was apparently a military band euphoniumist before "retiring" to an orchestra.

That's only hearsay on my part, but I've heard this from various sources.

Having said that, the American concept of orchestral sound is not the only concept, and can be in no way more or less valid than any other country's historical concept of sound. You may like one or the other more or less, but the general trend I notice from a lot of posters on the BBS is that the American concept is somehow the right one, and all the others are wrong or inferior.

While I largely stick the the American concept myself, I no longer believe that it is somehow a pre-ordained truth in the universe which various other cultures are searching for.

I have heard American orchestras play with "that sound" and be incredably boring. I have also heard non-American orchestras play with very different sounds and thought "Ah! That's what this piece is supposed to sound like!"

These are just my opinions, but at least I'm aware of that.

Jeff

Follow Ups: