Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use of F tubas in Europe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 23, 2003 at 23:00:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use of F tubas in Europe posted by jeff miller on June 23, 2003 at 12:32:43:

I agree that many judge concerts by the hardware and not by the result, and by technique instead of music. For me, good hardware and technique are conspicuous only by their absence. If the hardware and technique of the performers is good enough so that their music shines through without distraction, then I don't care about hardware and technique. I've heard many great performances on instruments that I personally cannot use effectively, and some on instruments that I personally can't stand. I've always thought of that as my problem.

And I have no problem with the various traditions around the world. In fact, I rather enjoy the diversity. I rather think Fletcher had his finger on the Britishness of the Vaughan Williams, but I go the other way with Lind's interpretation of Baroque composers, which I think is just plain wonderful. But I don't think any nation's tradition dictates bad playing.

Rick "who knows bad playing when he hears it, having heard it so much in his own practice room" Denney

Follow Ups: