Re: Top-Quality BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 08, 2003 at 18:40:18:

In Reply to: Top-Quality BBb's posted by Beef Latter on June 06, 2003 at 20:38:17:

Let's say that an unlimited supply of cash fell out of the sky, and I went looking for the ultimate large BBb tuba. Let's say I didn't have any of my current horns. What would I try?

Holton 345
Meinl-Weston 195 Fafner
Gronitz PBK
Conn Orchestra Grand Bass
Willson 3100
Rudolf Meinl 5/4
Alexander 5/4
Old York converted to modern front-action pistons

I would avoid top-action valves because my left eye is nearly blind. I'd be sensitive to the tuning of the third partial F on the Holton and the Conn in particular. On all of them, I would be sensitive to ergonomics and balance. And with any big horn, the first consideration is this: Does it magnify your air or suck it out of you? The 20J I had magnified. The first 2165 I tried to played sucked it out of me. The converted CC York/Rusk I played magnified. My particular Holton magnifies, big time. The Rudy I tried sucked it out of me. The Willson sounded like it was magnifying, but felt like it was sucking me dry. A big horn that sucks the air out of you violates the whole notion of using size to obtain efficiency, it seems to me. Of course, my threshold for sucking/magnifying is pretty low compared to those who have more air and use it better.

Of these, I've played only a few (notably the Willson), because the unlimited supply of cash didn't fall out of the sky and like most BBb players cost was a consideration. I ended up with the Holton mostly because of the timing and the availability (of both the instrument and the money), but at this point any of the others would have to be just plain phenomenal to tempt me away from the Holton. Hint: The Willson ain't that phenomenal. Had the Holton not come my way, I'd have been all over Lee's Conn--everybody else would have heard a busy signal. With unlimited funds, I'd probably start with the Gronitz, because of reports I'm hearing from those who play the CC version, but I'd try the Rudy and the Fafner before making any decisions.

The King is a wonderful instrument but too small to meet my criteria (meaning: I already have smaller tubas that are plenty of fun).

Rick "you asked" Denney

Follow Ups: