Re: Re: Re: Top-Quality BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 10, 2003 at 00:05:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Top-Quality BBb's posted by Puzzle on June 09, 2003 at 04:23:03:

Don't confuse aerobic efficiency with vital capacity. I was pretty aerobically fit as long as I kep my work intensity fairly low (by ultra-distance triathlon standards, at least). But I figure I have about three or four liters of vital capacity. When you are running, you can breath as often as you want. Swimming was hard for me precisely because the breathing was limited to more infrequent opportunities. But once I learned to swim efficiently enough to remain aerobic, it wasn't a problem.

The problem in endurance sports is getting enough oxygen to the muscles. That's more a matter of how well you pull oxygen out of the air your breathe and carry it to the muscles. The vital capacity problem with tuba playing is have a sufficient gas (doesn't have to be oxygen) supply to buzz the lips on demand, and that is solely a matter of the size of the lungs and the ability to quickly and fully open the passage and expand the chest. Hyperventilation is the usual problem with tuba playing during low, loud, and extended passages. Hypoventilation is the problem with endurance sports.

Rick "who doesn't feel or look much like an Ironman these days" Denney

Follow Ups: