Re: Re: Re: Teaching woes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 19, 2002 at 17:15:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Teaching woes posted by not on my resume on June 19, 2002 at 14:24:37:

N. Texas Man, you can not teach the tuba itself anything! You always are teaching the person playing the tuba.

If you do not realise, that especially when teaching young persons you have to see them in their cultural, social, family, educational, intelligence, and talent contexts (just to mention a few), then you are not worth even the tiniest fraction of $20 a year.

With the attitude you display, your school/college/university/conservatory/or-whatever should not be happy to have its/their name(-s) listed in your resume.

Klaus

PS: One mighty teacher of the tuba as a musical instrument still can muster immense amounts of loyalty from his former students years after his death. As I read their contributions to this board, part of his method was to see every single student as a unique human integrating artistic, musical, spiritual, anatomical, and many more aspects into the "platform", from which he worked.

Any of you "teachers of the tuba" grasping just a fraction of this holistic approach to teaching, will eventually make yourselves worth much more than $20 a week.

There still are great persons in the tuba community.

Sean Chisham obviously is one of them by providing the frameWORK for this board. Farah not to be forgotten.

Despite the minimum distance between Bob Tucci and me never was less than 1250 miles, I have communicated sufficiently with him to know, that he is a really generous guy.

The same goes for my countryman Lars Holmgaard (the player of the 5 piston Theins in F and CC).

And for a lot of guys and galls, that I never had the chance to learn to know.

PPS: Did I fail as a teacher? Be sure! Every day! But I tried to learn from my failures and to convert my experiences into improving approaches to teaching.

Follow Ups: