Re: Re: Re: Re: a question for 5 valve Eb players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 01, 2001 at 04:28:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: a question for 5 valve Eb players posted by Barry Guerrero on July 01, 2001 at 03:55:20:

The original 981 was adapted for John Fletcher, who was not a tall man.

A low-set leadpipe coming horizontally all the way out of the valve cluster.

My latter-day incarnation of the 981 has had a revision, which according to telephonic contact with the B&H factory had strived to keep the acoustical proportions of the original design.

The leadpipe has been raised, which requires it to be lengthened. It has, however, kept its fast expansion of bore (at least compared to the 982 parade variant), so that the full .689 bore is achieved well ahead of the entry in the valve cluster.

There has been a price to be payed for this revision: The main tuning slide has had its male branches as well as its receivers shortened.

Not very practical in all contexts. So I ordered a spare tuning slide with longer male branches.

I have seen all the paperwork involved in this ordering, including the internal B&H ordering sheet for their spare parts department. All very faitful to my ordering.

Nonetheless the tuning slide arriving was identical to the original one. So I of course did not accept it. And I did not follow up on the case, as I have been able to manage tuning well enough until now.

Klaus

Follow Ups: