Re: Let's have some Fun!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on June 23, 2001 at 20:08:00:

In Reply to: Let's have some Fun!! posted by Chuck Jackson on June 23, 2001 at 18:49:19:

We played the "New World Symphony" last year (high school). Of course, the tuba and bass bone parts are printed on the same pages, and at the top, the part says "3rd Trombone and Tuba" (or something to that effect). Anyway, when we first started playing it, I didn't realize that it didn't say "tutti" or something like that after the allegro in the first movement. Apparently, neither did the conductor. After a few weeks and a couple times listening to the recording, I realized that the tuba part was ONLY those 16 bars (or whatever) in the second movement (don't ask me why it took so long). Anyway, I was having fun playing the part, so I didn't say anything. Played it in the concert, and it sounded good (different of course, but good). I wouldn't do that sort of thing again, but it did make the piece a lot more fun to play than if I had only played the actual tuba part.

aaaaaaaaannnnnyway . . .

For me it would have to be Finlandia. I know it's got some pretty substantial writing relative to some tuba parts, but for some reason I can never get to like it. I want to say it sounds goofy, but that is not the right word. Anyway, I am sure (like any piece) it has plenty of people who enjoy it, but I am not one of them. Sorry. FWIW . . .

Erik

Follow Ups: