Re: Re: Miraphone 186 C tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on June 26, 2000 at 22:33:27:

In Reply to: Re: Miraphone 186 C tuba for sale posted by curious on June 26, 2000 at 17:09:44:

This is another one of those statements that should be banned from the BBS: "Why are you selling it?"

It should be understood that most people sell their horns because they want to try something different for whatever reason. There's something about their current horn for sale that doesn't quite please them. It seems whenever someone posts a horn for sale, there's always someone asking why is he selling, as if thinking that person is going to say "It's broke." or "The valves suck." or "My brother's hamster died in it and is stuck around the second brace". Come on, guys! You're almost forcing these people to say "I hate to get rid of it, but....", (fill in your favourite excuse here: need the money, too many horns, switching to F, getting married, wife's pregnant, quitting playing, too big, too small, too dark, too light).

People grow tired of horns like they grow tired of their cars. Some people I know seem to buy a new car every year when there's absolutely nothing wrong with the one they have. There are those of us who have found a horn that is such a perfect match, we will more than likely never sell it (kinda like a 69 Camaro SS). That perfect match for us may be a quick sell for you. It seems people are concerned about the "sloppy seconds" mentality saying to themselves "Well, if this guy is selling it, there must be something wrong with it." Well, you're right! There's something wrong with EVERY horn and what one player finds as a weakness (i.e. resistance) others may find a strength.

Bottom line: we all have an opinion in the area of nuance as to what makes a good tuba to us. Please don't back these tuba sellers into a corner and force them to tell you what it is about their tuba that doesn't quite meet their ideal.

Dave

Follow Ups: