Re: Re: Re: Difference between Euphonium & Baritone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 08, 2001 at 20:50:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Difference between Euphonium & Baritone posted by Scott on July 08, 2001 at 20:10:23:

How to please all of you folks?

One poster thinks, that I am making fun at the expense of you all. And that even if every music related statement will bear through right through the court of war criminals in den Haag.

Another poster chgides me for getting the linguistic wron, even if he thereby puts his neck in the noose he has wound himself:

""euphonium" literally means "well-sounding" (eu=good or well, phonos=sound or voice)".

All true, only that the -ium suffix states that we are talking of then apparatus providing the good sound.

If this board wants to elaborate on the deeper semantic differences between apparatus, tool, and instrument, then I might have the joy of my upcomming holiday trip upgraded. just by not having to attend these elaborations.

Your reference to Joe’s posting is relevant. Joe is a person of compromisses. Just refer to his company name: Mid-South something.

Joe says the same as I do. Only not on the basis of the southern favourite "Four Roses". Joe’S MidSouth compromising version is somewhere between two an three roses.

Still alive. Cheek (or is it chick?) fastly healing!

All the best to all of you!

Klaus

Follow Ups: