Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Repair.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Hickman on July 31, 2000 at 15:59:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Repair. posted by Larry Boice on July 31, 2000 at 14:45:39:

An interesting proposal. I'll give you our situation. Here it goes...
The facility:
Main Instructional Lab (1600sq.ft.) - 20 student benches and instructor demo area.
Dent Room (162 sq.ft.) - Several sets of dent tools, dent machine, vises, etc.
Buffing Room (200 sq.ft.) - Two full size buffing lathes, strapping machine and dust collection system.
Soldering/Machining Room (450 sq.ft.) - Two lathes, milling machine, drill press, two grinders, valve honing machine and five acetylene torch set-ups with air handling system.
Chemical Room (300 sq.ft.) - several chemical vats, sink, bathtub, eye wash, emergency shower and an air handling system.
Resource Library (150 sq.ft.) - A/V equipment, refrigerator, microwave, 500+ textbooks.
Storage (400 sq.ft.) - Instruments and supplies.
Lacquer Booth (100 sq.ft.) - spray gun and air handling system.
Woodworking Room (650 sq.ft.) - table saw, band saws, drill presses, compresed air, other tools and a dust collection system.

Very expensive. Last year, I spent $10,000.00 in saxophone, clarinet and flute pads alone. To bring the lacquer booth up to code, the estimate is $60,000.00. My requested budget for this year was $75,000.00. Salary of the instructor w/benefits - I don't work for free - $60,000.00. Instruments are expensive. I pick up a lot at local pawn shops. Last year I purchased 10 flutes, 12 clarinets, 10 alto saxophones, two baritone saxophones, two bass clarinets, two bassoons, and a six valve F-tuba. Yamaha comes through with a large number of brass instruments, so that helps. Total inventory of working instruments goes something like this:
Flutes - 18
Clarinets - 35
Alto Saxes - 20
Tenor Saxes - 5
Bari Saxes - 5
Bass Clarinets - 3
Bassoons - 2
Oboes - 6
Trumpets/Cornets - 85
Horns - 18
Trombones - 25
Euphoniums - 16
Sousaphones/Tubas - 35

And hundreds of "parts" horns. Incredibly expensive to start a program like this. Lars Kirmser started this one in 1979 and ran it for 17 years. There are only three left in the U.S. and one in Canada. If you need more information, let me know. I've piled it on the list today! Daryl

Follow Ups: