Re: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DS on January 16, 2003 at 13:17:20:

In Reply to: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON posted by Happy Happington on January 15, 2003 at 18:33:34:

Excellent post Dale, appreciate your opinion!

BUT...

The reason you give for a pro not lining up for a Holton like this is exactly why I was wondering about it! If the pro can only use that 6/4 horn a couple of times a year, then why pay mega-bucks for a CC instead of a horn like this, which is (in my very humble and totally unprofessional opinion) capable of producing a "performance" of like quality and is a significantly smaller investment? Also, as you rightly state, since Walter likely ISN'T building anymore, wouldn't that lend even greater consideration of a horn like this for a pro who wants a 6/4? Granted, not all pros need a 6/4, but what about the ones that do? Just a thought.

I should clarify two points; the quality of work I was talking about was referring to the quality of "performance" a pro could achieve on this horn versus a CC version, not the build quality of the horn itself. Also, Nirschl meant there was more interest in HIS big BBb's which makes that a relative statement, considering he only built so few horns annually at that time. I didn't intend to imply that he meant more interest in big BBb's overall. Just to clarify...

Dietmar (heading off to a lunch date with my Holton) Sedens

Follow Ups: