Re: Re: Nashville Miraphone Eb compensating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 16, 2002 at 21:55:35:

In Reply to: Re: Nashville Miraphone Eb compensating posted by Steve Dedman on January 16, 2002 at 21:14:52:

I think it is wonderful, that players and repairmen can combine to come up with modifications, so that the players get instruments, that make it possible for them to bring out their musical visionarity.

That seems to have been the case with the bell exchange, that Joe made for his friend. (I am not sure, that I would like that modification, because I see it like a retrograde step half the way back to the old and small belled Besson New Standards/B&H Imperials, that had a very effective, but not exactly attractive sound).

When Steve wants further modifications, then he actually moves far away from the original model. He wants an Eb instrument with the dimensions of a Besson 983 and the valve set-up of the Willson model, that Jay Bertolet plays.

That might be an instrument, that could find its own niche in the market.

But would Miraphone be the obvious maker of such an instrument? Has Miraphone made itself known for its piston instruments?

As I see it, Miraphone just wanted a share of the British style brass band market. Hence its 3+1 low brasses.

To let this British sidetracking of a very German company be the platform for the development of an instrument, that would be very American in its concept seems to be a very unlikely way to reach the desired result.

Just the thoughts this thread made me think.

Klaus

Follow Ups: