Re: Re: Re: Re: Nashville Miraphone Eb compensating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 16, 2002 at 23:06:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Nashville Miraphone Eb compensating posted by Steve Dedman on January 16, 2002 at 22:47:27:

Now that's a great idea!

I use to think this all the time that I was laboring with my old Boosey Eb. At that time, nobody (to my knowledge) was making a 5 valve Eb tuba of any sort, let alone one that had all the valves on the right hand. I constantly drooled at the sight of those big Conn and York Eb tubas with their large bells, large bottom bows, and their front action pistons. I always wondered why none of the manufacturers ever made the jump to 5 valve setups. Ironic, considering that the biggest complaint I've ever heard about these horns is that they tended to play pretty out of tune. The added valve(s) might have really helped this.

It would be interesting (to me at least) if someone were to try and resurrect one of those old designs and incorporate what we now know about taper and design, along with the added valves, in an attempt to create a better version of this style horn. Or you could just buy a Willson, because Willi has already done all the work for you.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: