Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: +Philip Jones+

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by hey Jay, now that I think about it . . . on January 24, 2000 at 02:13:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: +Philip Jones+ posted by Barry Guerrero on January 24, 2000 at 01:53:06:

John Fletcher himself once told me that the main problem with the whole "music as art" industry, is that people want their music for nothing. I don't know all of the details, but I can't help but think that John Fletcher took the administrative problems of the LSO way too seriously. That was sort of my impression from talking to him, and from the things I've read in books about the LSO. He certainly helped me to acquire a 19" bell and bigger leadpipe for my B&H EEb tuba. That was way before B&H came out with the Fletcher model, or 981/982 models. I really need to get that book about John Fletcher.

As many of you may recall, there was a PJBE album that showed the quintet standing on some church steps with their instruments. I had always assumed that John Fletcher was the great big guy. That turned out to be trumpeter John Wilbriham - the guy who allegedly played the Picc' solo on Penny Lane, and who was allegedly fired from the BBC Symphony by Gennady Rozdestvensky. Can anybody verify either rumor?

For folks who know little about the PJBE, look for the record I just described in used record stores, on LP. I think that's the one that has the Malcom Arnold quintet. Also, try to find 4 OUTINGS FOR BRASS QUINTET by Andre Previn - that piece was written for John Fletcher! It makes a great tuba recital piece, by the way. As I recall, I think the part goes from low G, to high E (maybe a bit higher?).

Follow Ups: