Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: +Philip Jones+

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 24, 2000 at 09:10:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: +Philip Jones+ posted by hey Jay, now that I think about it . . . on January 24, 2000 at 02:13:39:

Absolutely! This is a problem I am confronted with everyday at the FPO. Personally, I think that people expect their music for free because they get it for free in so many places like the radio, the elevator, etc. I've lost count of how many requests come into our orchestra's business offices for groups to play at a function and the requesters expect the musicians to do it for free! I'M NOT KIDDING ABOUT THIS! Our management laughs about it ALL the time. I don't think John Fletcher took this issue too lightly because I believe, like he did, that this issue should be of great concern to all live performance musicians. I think this is one manifestation of the side effects of the recording boom and it makes me believe that maybe it was a good idea for the industry to negotiate those "Music Performance Trust Fund" clauses into the major recording agreements with the AFM. The dehumanization of music making is something that I am concerned with all the time and I believe it is something that threatens our very livelihoods.

Sorry for yet another rant...

Follow Ups: