Re: Tuba Major Horn Reccomendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 02, 2000 at 20:49:01:

In Reply to: Tuba Major Horn Reccomendations posted by DDSuko on January 02, 2000 at 18:53:45:

Tough decision. The Meinl Weston 2155 and Willson CC you mentioned are great horns. Also look at the B&S PT-6p and the 5/4 Rudy Meinl for the same genre of instrument, i.e. 5/4 sized. I don't think you would be as happy with the Kalison as the other choices.

You mentioned $6000 as a spending cap. You are not likely to find any of those horns for that price. Most of those instruments hover between $8000 - $11000. Even finding a used one for $6000 will be a challenge. Used is more likely in the $7000's. Try to work with a bank or with your student loan department to get adequate funds to purchase what you want. Trust me, you will kick yourself in the pants in 8 months if you buy less horn than you want and need in order to "save" $2000 - $3000. Try to do it right the first time, or you will take a hit when you sell the horn later to buy what you really want.

If you don't mind a 4/4 horn, then also look into the used Hirsbrunner Dave Fedderly has for sale, or Walter Nirschl 4/4's at Custom Music.

My personal favorite right now is the B&S PT-6p.

sean

Follow Ups: