Re: Re: How much should one charge?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on January 20, 1999 at 02:17:26:

In Reply to: Re: How much should one charge? posted by Jose on January 19, 1999 at 22:09:55:

Interesting.... Can't say I approached private teaching in the same way. Instead of taking the existing business from another, I was always able to find students who were not already taking lessons. As they progressed, others were refered to me (my students held their own with the students of others, and often times excelled). Now, to be fair, when I had a particularly good student, I would generally refer them to the top teachers in town (generally students of trumpet). Students can be found at grade schools (nice to get them started with the right approach), high schools (not all are taking lessons for many reasons), and (write this one down) adults playing for enjoyment.

As for cost, what are you worth?? Do you command $30, $40, $50 or more per lesson, or are you starting out (there are many variables when it comes to private instruction, and not all students will respond in the same manor).

Check your area to see what teachers with your experience are charging. Undercutting these prices will get you some students, but a better approach (IMO) it to give them a better product. Once you can demonstrate that you are effective, you can take on new students at a higher rate.

Follow Ups: