Re: Importance of learning scales

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Another opinion on February 21, 2004 at 23:17:41:

In Reply to: Importance of learning scales posted by Rob McGray on February 20, 2004 at 23:16:37:

I am a band director for a middle school. I do not teach scales. I agree that scales are important for musicians to learn, but I think it is more important for kids to have an esthetic experience of making music. Most kids in my bands will not go on to be professional musicians or music majors in college. Some will go on to be serious hobbyists. I want to teach all my kids music.
I spend my time on the music. I work on the story being told. I try to have the kids understand every note that they are playing so they can communicate the music to the audience. I want them to get excited about what they are doing. I want them to have a peak musical experience. We all play music because it is fun and we can express ourselves in a deep and profound manner. We like being part of something beautiful and bigger than ourselves.
I don't have much time for anything else. If kids are serious about playing they usually get private lessons and then get more into the technical aspect of playing their horns. Or they realize the importance of scales and I give them some on the side. At middle school they will have plenty of time to learn their scales later.
For the 90% who will stop playing after high school or college, I do not want to waste their time. I want them to enjoy making music so they can appreciate all the music they listen to for the rest of their lives.

Follow Ups: