Re: Re: serious career question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NOT Tracy on February 08, 2004 at 19:23:43:

In Reply to: Re: serious career question posted by Higher, Ed on February 08, 2004 at 19:06:12:

...just enjoying reading and thinking

"Your question implies that you think college teachers are not professional musicians!"
- To many, there is a distinction between "music teacher" and "musician". Many (though not correctly) associate the term "musician" only with "music performer".

"A DMA is now the minimum entry-level ticket to qualify for just about any college teaching position."
- probably yes...with the acception of the most exclusive music conservatories...or special conditions - which still require a "terminal" degree within a limited amount of time.

"If your biggest job is in a good regional orchestra, you will probably need a doctorate to get your foot in the door during a college search."
- You're probably right. Isn't it curious that significant orchestral experience means virtually nothing to most universities, and significant degrees mean virtually nothing to most orchestra committees? Does this lead back to the first point here in my post?

"One test of your current market value is to see if you can get a free DMA somewhere."
- Having watched quite a few folks go through this, it seems that the likelihood of getting a "free" advanced degree is much greater if one shops at least "one tier down" from the school at which one received their bachelor's degree.

"In my own case, I chose to study music at the master's and doctoral level only because I love music."
- Someone like yourself with these motives will have the greatest chance of success.

Follow Ups: