Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on February 09, 2003 at 15:02:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo Question posted by Tony E on February 09, 2003 at 12:50:08:

It's very sad. Any tuba player that can win an audition should be able to play it. It doesn't sound right on euphonium, IMHO. I'm not sure where Gene's coming from with his comments. Conductor's preference? Maybe it's that conductors have little faith in the tubists to perform it flawlessly. It has always seemed that conductors, in general, subscribe to tubist stereotype (dopey, lazy, only good for oom-pah-pah parts) . Now, we've all played for a conductor who was simply an idiot. That may be a factor, also. Whatever the reason, it's a shame that the trend has gone toward euphonium instead of tuba. There are a great number of tubists who can play Bydlo respectably and tastefully. AND(here comes the flames, since euphers can't take a joke), SINCE WHEN is euphonium an orchestral instrument? (Holst, yes, I know. An anomaly at best...) When you are sitting in that orchestra chair, remember that you earned it. Do your job, draw your pay, and don't worry about it. As far as the Arnold Jacobs issue goes, he was capable of playing it on whatever he chose. As far as him playing it on contrabass, it makes me want to do that Tim Allen gorilla grunt thing out of respect and admiration.
Doc (who enjoys and can play euphonium, but played Bydlo on F-tuba)

Follow Ups: