Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on February 09, 2003 at 12:50:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo Question posted by Mike on February 09, 2003 at 04:46:47:

Mike,

That's correct...

The text doensn't expand, and I can't help but wonder...if it was simply a matter of the F side of that particular double tuba, why woudn't he simply use an F tuba that he did like (better than the BBb) for the part, as he certainly would have access to other F instruments. Presumably he bought the double because he liked the F side in general, since that seems to have been his motivation for acquiring the instrument in the first place. His taste (if that's the right word) for the F tuba seems to have developed later in his career, rather than earlier.

In any event, I'm not suggesting that Mr. Jacobs would advocate the BBb over the F for Bydlo in general. I only mention it since it's such a fascinating piece of Jacobs/CSO history, as is Mr. Pokorny's now well known statement regarding Bydlo. An interesting evolution from 1951, where the CSO tubist is choosing to play the part on the contra bass, to 1996 where the CSO tubist (and many others) recomends giving the part to the tacet trombone player.

What do you think?

Tony E

Follow Ups: