Re: Re: doubling on trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 05, 2002 at 23:23:59:

In Reply to: Re: doubling on trombone posted by js on February 05, 2002 at 20:09:18:

Yes, Hiram is one of my students and he's been wrestling with this dilemma for quite some time. I can't argue with the advice you've given Hiram, I just disagree with it. The reason is because I know Hiram and he does want to enter the service. His goal is to gain a position in one of the DC bands. To do that, he will have to be an amazing euphonium player. His current level of trombone playing is minimal because it isn't his primary instrument. His skills on euphonium make him very attractive to any of the major ensemble conductors at the high school he attends, New World High School of the Arts.

From a strictly practical standpoint, I don't advise any of my euph students to double on trombone unless they really plan to use it. Clearly, playing euph in a service band makes no demand on the player to also play trombone. Being a freelancer is a whole different story. In that realm, I think it is wise to know both as well as some tuba. But that isn't Hiram's goal. I also believe that the sounds of the two instruments are sufficiently different to not really be helpful to each other. I see them as related only in that they play in the same relative octave. After that, the sounds and technique are markedly different.

And Hiram, should I now refer to you simply as "diaz"? Please! I sincerely hope I taught you to be more accurate (with much better attention to detail) than that. ;-)

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: