Re: Re: Re: Re: what's up with orchestral playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on February 25, 2000 at 20:01:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: what's up with orchestral playing? posted by Todd on February 25, 2000 at 17:35:20:

Todd, thank you for approaching this in a most mature manner. Yes, I did read your message as you, obviuosly, did not want it read. I have found that the band directors that have let themselves get to the point that you describe never really wanted to play in the first place and are looking for a scapegoat for their attitudes. You are the pilot of your own ship. My students hear me practice EVERYDAY. They know, now, that it is important to practice what you preach, and they appreciate it. My students and their parents have seen me perform on numerous occassions. They are intriqued as to how I manage my time. I pass those time manangement skills on to my students. I practice my second instrument(string bass) everyday, that adds more questions to the mix,i.e.; "How do you juggle the two" which invariably leads to "Why did you learn that?" They get some real life explanations. And the hardest of all "If you are this good, whay are you here?" I simply answer that I am good, but others are better. However humbling that may be, I still practice, still work, still love to teach, and love each and every one of my students. I have earned their respect through my actions. Gene Corporon told a conducting class I took in college that you would never be a great teacher if for just once in your life you never felt like you were the best damn "add your instrument" player in the world. If you choose to play, you will, if you choose to get better, you will, if you choose to be a great teacher, you will. Life is choice. You can do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING YOU WANT IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH. Todd, I sense rotting will never be an issue. Learn to compartmentalize and leave well enough alone when the day is done. And always remember the head custodians and principal's secretary's name. They are the ones who will run your school and do you right. If it means anything to you, I am from Rome, NY and studied with Kevin Ladd for years. I don't always remember my families birthdays, but I always remember those teachers who made a difference. You can be both!!! Good Luck and Have Peace. FWIW, I am a High School orchestra director, my job, not my "day-gig". I have the best of both world's. I wish the same for you.

Follow Ups: