TubaChristmas "elitists"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on December 07, 2002 at 16:03:22:

OK, I am honestly trying to figure this out...

Many of the posts lately have been about TubaChristmas, which I am sure is normal, this time of year. Some of these posts seem to be criticizing the quality of these events, whether it is from individual players, the group being too large, or because of the type of horn a person uses...

Who cares? I thought TubaChristmas was about FUN. About anyone who enjoys playing--whether they are 13 or 85, professional, or an amateur who only puts the horn on his face once a year... They are just Christmas carols, after all... And as far as "advancing the public knowledge of tuba and euphonium".... Its not accurate anyway. Where will one find 40-300 tubas and euphs playing together?? Name ONE full-time professional mass tuba-euph ensemble... What are we making the public aware of? That these instruments exist and you hardly ever see them together like this? That you really only ever see one or two tubas in an orchestra, maybe 2-3 tubas and euphs in a band? They learn this from tubachristmas?

I say lighten up and enjoy it, regardless of the other players. If you are "too good" to play with the rest of us, dont go. Or, find another location that you think will be better. OR, you can start a full-time professional mass tuba-euph group, I'm all for it.

Just dont dog TubaChristmas and the "poor quality" performances. Cya Monday at the DC TubaChristmas, and maybe on the 14th for the Pittsburgh one--I'll be there, and having fun!!

Follow Ups: