Re: TubaChristmas "elitists"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 08, 2002 at 13:22:28:

In Reply to: TubaChristmas "elitists" posted by Dean on December 07, 2002 at 16:03:22:

I am dubious of your claim that you are 'honestly trying to figure this out'. I think I and the many who agreed with me (online and via e-mails) are responding to an element of the larger TubaChristmas events that is taking the fun out of the events FOR US. No one has said they should be abolished, no one has suggested that others shouldn't go. No one has advocated that only superb musicians (or for that matter only competent musicians) should be allowed to participate. I HAVE suggested that, if possible, those who turn the event into a no-hold-barred blat-fest, and who make no attempt to play the directed tempo, should be reigned in, but I've never suggested they should be. Furthermore, I challenge you to find anything I've EVER written that would indicate I think I am "'too good' to play with the rest" of you.

I posted originally to find out if others were having the same experience, and whether there were TCs that did NOT have this problem. As a result of that original post, I have found, enjoyed, and lauded a TC event in Harriman, TN, and learned of additional activities that might be more to my liking. I also learned about some alternatives that sound TO ME
I suspect that what's wrong with it is, as I suggested in my original post, that having the gall to express any negative about any TC event is just heresy to some people.

Joe Baker, who thinks that speaking heresy is a valuable right.

Follow Ups: