how loud should you go on 1812

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fei Huang on December 16, 2000 at 12:37:36:

Hey list,
Yesterday my band director handed out the 1812 overture. This is not some cheesy watered down version intended to be performed by little kids. In fact this is probably as close to the original version as a band arrangement can get. My point being that much of the string bass part has been incorporated into the tuba part. A lot of sections of the song in my part is marked fff and even ffff in the BIG finale.
My band is not exceptionally huge nor is the low brass section exceptionally endowed (1 euph, 1 trombone, and 1 tuba (me)).
So my question is: at those sections marked fff and ffff just how loud should they sound, especially at the big finale marked ffff (it starts with oompahs and goes into the big tuba and trombone theme). Give it from a scale of 1-10 with one being moderate and ten being as loud as possible at any expense.
I am not capable of playing very loud (I only play on a 3/4 size horn) so I want some advice on being able to play louder without making it sound like primitive animal howls.

Thank you,
Fei Huang

Follow Ups: