Re: Horn Resistance Again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on August 19, 2003 at 12:09:09:

In Reply to: Horn Resistance Again posted by Ressy Stance on August 18, 2003 at 18:52:59:

I play a Karl Zeiss F that was modified by Lee Stofer. At a .650 bore it's tight, BUT, the sound jumps out in a big way and it's easier FOR ME to control a wide range of dynamics. I play a Yamaha BBb that clocks in at .820. It has ZERO resistance and takes a deft touch(which for me is sometimes hard)to play across the dynamic spectrum. The sound is fabulous, but it is a lot of work. I play it with a Faxx 24AW. This version seems to have a slightly larger rim with a tighter backbore, hence giving me some resistance.

I recently played a new Mirafone 1865U CC that was wonderful. Not too open, not too tight.

I have found rotary valve horns to offer more resistance than pistons. I have played a Conn 56J that clocks in at (AT)690 that feels much more open than a rotary instrument like the Mirafone at .770. Most horns patterned after the York seem to me to be real, real open. I have no idea why because their bore size is relatively benign, contrasted with a 5/4 Rudy w/rotors that played like a much smaller horn feeling wise. That big boy clocks in at a cool .920. Now that is a true BAT!!!

Random Musings, hope it helped a little.

Chuck

Follow Ups: