Re: Re: question for euphonium teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carroll on August 11, 2003 at 07:30:40:

In Reply to: Re: question for euphonium teachers posted by your choice on August 10, 2003 at 22:59:18:

As one who has undergone an embouchure change with every new teacher... I know what you are going through. And as a teacher who has changed some embouchures myself, I see the point of your instructor. I hesitate to make drastic changes in the face setup of most high school kids (since thier college teacher will undoubtable change them again) but if things are drastically wrong, I will do it. Sometimes we do things to make stuff work that is way wrong, even counterproductive. We need someone else to be honest and tell us that what we are doing is incorrect. That is why we enlist the assistance of an expert. You sound as if you went home, tried a new set for a while, did not like it, and went back to your old set. I could be wrong... you may have spent weeks working toward your new set, there may be things I cannot see (or your teacher) that prevents you from achieving success with your new set. But consider how long it took to learn to play with your old set. To play with a new set... you must first unlearn your old one, and then learn a new one. If you trust your teacher - do it. If you do not trust your teacher - find one that you trust.

Follow Ups: