Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by issue on August 06, 2003 at 07:27:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tastes... posted by Chuck Jackson-Long on August 06, 2003 at 02:09:57:

I think your comments represent a personal dislike for the CSO sound but why bring personalities into this. This shouldn't be a post about the York cult.

Certainly, Harvey Phillips and his Conn were as identified as well at Mr. Jacobs and his York. Or even Roger Bobo and the Miraphones he played. Is there a following? Yes, but this post is about the direction of tuba. Cult? Hardly. Jealousy? Yep.

If there are people wanting to "imitate" the Chicago brass who end up overblowing and overplaying, don't accuse the Chicago brass of that until you have heard them live, at least.

Were they loud? You bet. The brass had to be in that hall because it sucked up the brass sound at the PODIUM, conductors asked for more, more, more. But it was never ugly or spread.

I love the individualistic sound of Leinsdorf's BSO brass. The silky sound of Ormandy's brass section was perfrect for my ears sometimes. So we all have personal likes. TEHO

However, the characterzation of Mr. Jacobs sound "in the early 70's" was an insulting comment about a supreme artist and a wonderful person. If taking personal umbrage has any value, I'm sure I and other of Jake's student take it. That kind of inflammatory remark would be well avoided.

Back to Joe's post, please: What is the direction of tuba sound?

Follow Ups: