Student Questions....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay on August 09, 2001 at 22:46:00:

I have one tuba student who just hit the ground running when he started and I thought he was going to be "THE STUDENT". I seem to have somehow jinxed him thinking this because we have been working on getting the hang of a dotted quarter note/eigth note flow for a while now (2 months or so?). I really thought at the begining it was me not explaining it so he could understand it. Now I think that he understands it, because after reminding him how to play it he nails it perfectly. I have just about reached my end as to what to do here..

My question is this, is there any suggestions other than the typical clap and count the rythms that I should try?

Also how long do most of the teachers let their students go along before they let them go? I have talked with his parents, but they have no musical ability so that is almost pointless. I have talked with him, but alas, how do you emphasise the importance of practicing to someone who likes to play with doing the work. This kid gets a nice full rich tone, and in the lessons has a good work ethic, but it seems that train leaves the track when he leaves the studio. Or he just has me snowed ??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Jay

Follow Ups: