Re: Airbags and tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by automotive electronics engineer on August 01, 2001 at 18:14:47:

In Reply to: Airbags and tubas posted by Matt Walters on August 01, 2001 at 09:53:39:

Many (most) vehicles equipped with a front passenger seat airbag will deploy this airbag in a collision regardless of who or what is located in the seat. If your tuba is in the seat and the airbag and tuba meet, there is a significant probability that the bell and/or rim will be dented, as the inflated airbag is reasonably firm (for a brief moment), so as to have a significant slowing effect on the human body. I'd go for the tuba in a hard case in the back seat with a seatbelt around the case, as the best case scenario, in my personal opinion (i.e. I have no hard data for this recommendation -- this is simply what I do, personally). In my van, the tuba goes behind the rear seat, on the floor, without seatbelt. Yet none of these scenarios will guarantee an undented tuba (see Rick's post for more details). I personally believe they will have the best likelyhood of resulting in YOU not being dented by the tuba. I also think they afford your tuba the best possible protection, however.

EDITORIAL: However, wearing the seatbelt (you or your tuba) is always MUCH more effective than relying only on the airbag for protection in a collision. Most of your protection comes from the seatbelt, not the airbag. Plus, the seatbelt has the dual role of positioning your body for maximum airbag benefit. WEAR YOUR SAFETY BELT!

One very minor correction to Rick's very educated post, is that a very few automobiles ARE equipped with seatbelts that do tighten up in a collision. They use a similar "fast-burn-propellent" to "pre-tension" the seatbelt when a collision is detected, to take up all of the slack in the belt, providing improved occupant protection. This feature is typically limited to more expensive vehicles (read "luxury"). If your car doesn't have this, then Rick's comment is 100% accurate -- the seatbelt merely locks in place -- it doesn't retract.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: