Re: bass bone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 02, 2003 at 10:34:28:

In Reply to: bass bone posted by Mary Ann on April 02, 2003 at 09:47:10:

There are as many ideas on bass trombones as on tubas. Here the ones from my experiences from playing a few, two of them my own.

If one has good ears, trombones are easier to play in tune, than any other brass instrument. However it is also easier to play completely out of tune. However with your background the ear aspect should not hinder you, if you invest time in getting the extremely important ear-lip-arm coordination right you will experience an ease of getting the exact pitch, that your ear imagines.

Bassbones are lighter than most euphs, but all of the weight, stability, and balance is carried by your left wrist. Many players get problems with torsion/rotary forces, when they follow the general practice of spreading the bell widely from the slide branches. I mount the bell, so that its rim is as closely to the slide branches as possible.

That practice has three implications:

The center of gravity is right over the bottom of my left palm (and over the left wrist).

The center of gravity does not move side-wards, and the lengthwise movement is so slight that it is easily handled.

But then my left eye is cut out from reading the music and seeing the conductor. Careful seating can take hand of that if there is space enough.

Short arms can play bassbones, if the no less than two valves are set up the right way. But basically no grown-up player not able to reach a true seventh position. Notes played by the use of the slide alone sound richer, than when valve shortcuts are involved. 7th position B and E naturals are way better sounding, than are valved substitutions.

There are modern valve systems approaching the quality of "all open" sounds, but they are reported to be even more air demanding, than standard bassbones. Which take at least as much air, as do 4/4 large BBb tubas.

The ideal projecting trombone sound calls for a higher wind pressure, than does a good tuba sound. Playing a bassbone like a euph or a tuba might not be a fruitful idea. Euphs and tubas do that better. These considerations do not call for comparisons with overblown tubas, but then they are not my corner of the field.

Personal thoughts only.

Klaus,

who is not out for selling any instruments (yet my favorite is the King 7B due to its very characteristic sound in all dynamic levels).

Follow Ups: