Re: Tubas on auction site?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on April 10, 2002 at 16:20:34:

In Reply to: Tubas on auction site? posted by Rick Bastedo on April 10, 2002 at 15:52:31:

Maybe I'm going to sound like a heretic myself, but with few exceptions, there are not many real bargains on that unmentionable online auction site. If I were looking for a good tuba, I'd comb the classified ads, local estate sales and pawn shops for an instrument.

The problems with auction sales are numerous. First, you don't know if the seller is telling the truth; he may think he is, but he may be badly misinformed. Second, you don't get to play the horn to evaluate it for yourself. "The valves go up and down" doesn't really tell you much. Third, you have to rely on the seller for shipping.

If you want to be safe, try dealing with some of the posters and merchants that frequent this board. You may not get the steal of the century, but you'll probably end up with a playable instrument.

And stay away from any auction tubas and euphoniums that have "new" in the title. They most likely are from mainland China or India.

Follow Ups: