Re: Re: Re: Tubas on auction site?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Bastedo on April 10, 2002 at 17:48:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tubas on auction site? posted by Lew on April 10, 2002 at 17:23:43:

Thanks, that is exactly what I have done with the two instruments I have already bought - with the addition that I am willing to let it be a learning experience if it goes bad.
Having only spent $100 for both a flute and a clarinet for my daughters and having sent numerous messages back and forth made me feel better about it.
I have to admit I did get into a bidding war last night with a guy over a new Haydn rotary valve horn that looked very sweet in the picture. He won in the last few seconds and I must say I am relieved that I did not get it. Still $500 for a brand new rotory valve tuba does sound nice, but if the metal is so thin that it ripples when you play I don't want that kind of instrument.

Now there are a couple I am watching, and have passed several emails about, one is a Conn 12J and the other is a "Compensating BBb Besson Recording Bell". The Besson has a 23 inch bell and according to the seller is made of very heavy guage brass, has no dents and less than average wear. If I could pick up one of them for $500 I think I would be doing well.
Especially thinking that this is a "First Horn" for me, and that I would be inclined to sell it in a year or two and step up to a better horn this might be the only way for me to get back into it for less than $1K.

All ideas and comments are welcome!

Follow Ups: