Re: What's the secret?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on April 07, 2002 at 21:32:16:

In Reply to: What's the secret? posted by js on April 07, 2002 at 20:55:19:

I would think that the primary reason to buy this would be as a collectable. Keefer only made about 25,000 total instruments. They have been out of business since around 1940, so many of them have been trashed in the past 60 years. Of those a small percentage were tubas, and an even smaller percentage of those were BBbs. Soo, I believe that this is a relatively rare instrument.

Even if the person was buying it as a player, the price is a little high, but not totally outrageous. Ignore the buffing + replating, because those are just cosmetic. It also doesn't look like there are any life threatening dents. Therefore to make this playable it is just a valve job. OK, maybe you need to work on the linkage, but maybe not replace it because they may want to keep it authentic. If they spend $800 on basic work to get it playable, they will have spent a total of about $2500 + shipping for what is probably a nice playing 5/4 sized BBb tuba. Not a great bargain, but not totally off the wall either.

I would have bought it because I like Distin/Keefer instruments and would add it to my collection, but I wasn't willing or able to go that high on it.

Follow Ups: