Re: Re: 4 valve BBb for a 4th grader

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 06, 2002 at 10:41:52:

In Reply to: Re: 4 valve BBb for a 4th grader posted by Lew on April 06, 2002 at 09:31:27:

The palette of choices, that Lew presents is wider, than what I would have been able to come up with.

However I find, that this very important discussion should have some elements of step-up psychology, reality, and practicability in it. I know about that from my teaching past. (My favouring of piston low brasses might shine through as well).

The student being bigger than average just now does not allow for banking on his continued fast growth. This counts against a faily large and relatively costly (within the $3000 framework) instrument like the King 2341, even if this one seems to fulfill a whole trend of current demands of playing charachteristics.

The same does the fact, that no matter how responsible the student in question is about his instrument, that does not go for the youngish bandmates in his school environment. The instrument will be exposed to damage no matter what.

It should also be considered, that even if the parents and the student seem to be on the same side, they actually are opposing parts.

Of course they can meet on the obvious motivation factor of having a new instrument.

However the "want this tuba to get him through his middle school years and into high school possibly" factor is representing the economical view of the parent side.

The student would be better served with two stepping up's. I am in the first row of proponents for 4 valve instruments. But an even average++ student of 10 or 11 will not be served well with an instrument of too large a bore. Which speaks for something like the Weril. Which also comes at an attractive price, if Joe S still can stand by his quotes of a year or so back.

But then parents, student, and teacher alike must be prepared for the situation, where the growth, dedication, and musical/tubistical development of the student really takes off during the next very few years.

Then the Weril will be as much of a limitation/hindrance as the present Yamaha baby is now. The Conn 5J will be no really good compromise, as it combines a faily large frame with a not very generous bore. Making it less suited for neither present nor future needs.

So my advice would be to for the Weril now. And at the same time to prepare the parents for the necessity of another stepping up in 2, 3, or 4 years.

If the Weril is followed by a good case, and if the student does his outmost to protect this instrument, then its resale value might be an important factor in the economics of the next stepping up. Be it to the King 2341 or to whatever the market might offer as its optimum through the next few years.

Klaus

Follow Ups: