Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 valve BBb for a 4th grader

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on April 07, 2002 at 01:48:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: 4 valve BBb for a 4th grader posted by JCradler on April 06, 2002 at 13:14:01:

John,

I own the new King 2341, and agree with the guys that it plays great and is a good buy. It's a horn he'd never grow out of. However, as a few of the guys pointed out, it is wide and heavy. My son is in third grade, and he is a BIG kid, and future lineman kind of strong. He absolutely can't handle the 2341. Now, your student is older, and will be growing, but I'd think twice about the size and weight for even a big fifth or sixth grader. The coordination isn't there with something heavy and bulky, and that BIG 20" bell would be just waiting to run into something (that's 5" clearance when centered in a bedroom doorway). I'm kind of with the guys that are recomending a nice playing used horn that is smaller, lighter, and cheaper...and stepping up later. Also, with a used, less expensive horn, the inevitable dings and dents won't be as stressfull. Dale's 184 pick would be hard to beat for reliable valves and good intonation, if you can find one.

To the guys posting on this thread...lots of good advice there.

Let us know what you decide.

Tony E

Follow Ups: